David Goggins’ book changed my life.
Before I’d even reached halfway through the audiobook I was running faster, waking up earlier and tackling tasks I previously avoided.
David Goggins is a beast and his approach to mental strength is unique and highly actionable. Here are some of the best Goggins quotes to help bring about changes in your mindset and build the warrior mentality (You have to live them though, reading isn’t enough!).
You can get the audiobook free on Audible and listen to Goggins expand on some of the unbelievable stories and go into detail on each challenge.
43 David Goggins Quotes
1. No one is going to help you. It’s you against yourself forever
2. A warrior is a mother-Fucker who says I’m here today. I’m here again tomorrow I’m going to be here the next day.
3. Our greatest accomplishments produce mental trophies; not physical trophies.
4. I tried to do so many things to fit in. But when you look in the mirror, that’s the one person you can’t lie to.
5. No matter what you or I achieve, in sports, business, or life, we can’t be satisfied. Life is too dynamic a game. We’re either getting better or we’re getting worse.
6. The reason it’s important to push hardest when you want to quit the most is because it helps you callous your mind
7. The only person who was going to turn my life around was me. The only way I could get turned around was to put myself through the worst things possible that a human being could ever endure
8. You’re going to have to suffer to go from here to there. Most people will never understand the journey.
9. It’s so easy to be great nowadays because everyone else is weak. If you have ANY mental toughness, if you have any fraction of self-discipline; The ability to not want to do it, but still do it; If you can get through to doing things that you hate to do: on the other side is greatness.
10. My work ethic is the single most important factor in all of my accomplishments. Everything else is secondary. To me, a forty-hour work week is a 40 percent effort. It may be satisfactory, but that’s another word for mediocrity. Don’t settle for a forty-hour work week. There are 168 hours in a week! That means you have the hours to put in that extra time at work without skimping on your exercise. It means streamlining your nutrition, spending quality time with your wife and kids. It means scheduling your life like you’re on a twenty-four-hour mission every single day.
11. Stop trying to be a champion. Be the fighter who refuses to go down from any setback he faces.
12. A warrior is a person who puts no limits on themselves.
13. A lot of us have these fears that you don’t want to fucking face.
14. We live in an external world. Everything, you have to see it, touch it. If you can for the rest of your life, live inside yourself – to find greatness, you have to go inside.
15. If you’re a person who is stuck in life: figure out how to not be that person anymore.
16. If you’re not good enough don’t try something else – make yourself good enough.
17. The other side of quitting is a lifetime of regret.
18. Put yourself in situations that suck. You’ll find yourself real quick.
19. Stop counting on other people to do it for you. Build yourself.
20. All I’d ever wanted from it was to become successful in my own eyes. That didn’t mean wealth or celebrity, a garage full of hot cars, or a harem of beautiful women trailing after me. It meant becoming the hardest motherf*cker who ever lived.
21. Most of us sweep our failures and evil secrets under the rug, but when we run into problems, that rug gets lifted up, and our darkness re-emerges, floods our soul, and influences the decisions which determine our character.
22. Who on this f***ing earth would be going right now? You are! I believed it enough to where my body said, “he’s not gonna stop.
23. Having lived the life I’ve lived, and seeing the other side, not being afraid to attack what was in front of me has made me happy.
24. A lot of us when we have bad times even life, even the hardest person in the world, we forget how badass we are during that hard time.
25. Normal people are driven when their lives are good. The warrior is motivated when his life is bad, or good.
26. We are all fighting the same battle. All of us are torn between comfort and performance, between settling for mediocrity or being willing to suffer in order to become our best self, all the damn time. We make those kinds of decisions a dozen or more times each day.
27. Life is not going to pick us up when we fall. There will be forks in the road, knives in your f*cking back, mountains to climb, and we are only capable of living up to the image we create for ourselves. Prepare yourself!
28. We habitually settle for less than our best.
29. We are all guilty of allowing so-called experts, or just people who have more experience in a given field than we do, to cap our potential.
30. Even the self-help gurus are afraid. Fear stops everyone. The few who move towards fear are the ones who change the world.
31. The more doors you open the more you understand this universal truth: your potential is limitless
32. I hated jumping out of aeroplanes, I hated shooting guns, I hated the job as a Navy SEAL – but I did it because I wanted to change myself. Everything you do, I’m not really comfortable doing, but if you choose to go that route, to be a navy seal, you might as well go be the hardest motherf***er in the world.
33. Whenever I’m stressed I get after it. I fix what’s bothering me.
34. The things that we decide to run from are the truth. When you make excuses, you’re running from the truth.
35. The mind is the most powerful thing in the world. The mind has capabilities that are so unknown, and being able to tap into that is on the other side of suffering.
36. Every day you’re trying to find more of what you’re capable of – and that’s the big question. What are you capable of? Stop doing the things that you do every day. If you run every day, go swim.
37. We have the ability to go in such a space, if you’re willing to suffer, and I mean suffer, your brain and body once connected together, can do anything.
38. We like to live our lives on social media with lies about ourselves about how great we are. Get to the source! Fix the problem.
39. If you want to get better, do the things that no-one else wants to do. Do the things that no-one is even thinking about doing.
40. At the end of the day, hard work may not be enough. You still may fail. But you keep going out there and go after it.
41. I don’t stop when I’m tired. I stop when I’m done.
42. Denial is the ultimate comfort zone.
43. Motivation is crap. Motivation comes and goes. When you’re driven, whatever is in front of you will get destroyed.
David Goggins Quotes and Interviews
Goggins has some great podcast episodes on Rich Rolls, Joe Rogan and London Real. Watch these below to hear more of his quotes. And if you haven’t listened to the Cant Hurt Me audiobook yet do it today, it is awesome. You can get it on Audible.